Sunday 16th May 2010 – Pastor Mark Ballosingh
Titus 1 1:4 Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God‘s elect, and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness; In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began; But hath in due times manifested his word through preaching, which is committed unto me according to the commandment of God our Saviour; To Titus, [mine] own son after the common faith: Grace, mercy, [and] peace, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ our Saviour.
Faith turns Promise into Prophecy. The devil may try to contaminate our promises but our Faith needs to stand strong. Our prayer must not be for more Faith but for Spiritual sight to see what will transpire through Faith. When God makes a promise to us he will always stand by it “Tarry at the promise till God meets you there for he always returns by the way of his promise.”
God is not a promise breaker, he stands by his Word.
How do you know you can depend on God?
1) God cannot lie – In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie Titus 2:2. Numbers 23 gives an account of Balaam who was paid by Balak to curse the children of Israel. Every time he went forth to curse them God would speak to him and blessings would be spoken by Balaam. Balak promised Balaam many possessions if he cursed the children, Balaam answered I cannot reverse the word of God (If Balak would give me his house full of silver and gold, I cannot go beyond the word of the LORD my God, to do less or more Numbers 23:18.) God has spoken a Word in our life the devil wants it reversed but God cannot lie his promise will come to pass.
2) God cannot deny himself – If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself 2 Timothy 2:13. Peter denied Christ 3 times. God will not deny his association with his children. If we make Jesus the center of our Life, he will take us through when the storms of life keep tossing at us.
3) God cannot be tempted with evil. Jesus was in the wilderness for forty days and forty nights the devil solicited him with temptation. But with every temptation of the devil Jesus brought the word “Is Written….”In times of temptation we need to call on the promises of God. God is Holy, Pure and Righteous he is invincible and cannot be penetrated. We must not allow the things of the world to penetrate our worship. Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man James 1:13
The promise of God is one, but the promise giver must be able to deliver. God is a God of integrity
The Integrity of God:-
– What he says he will do, he will do…. So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it Isaiah 55:11.
– The Lord is not slack concerning his promise The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance 2 Peter 3:19. Recount Moses taking the children to the promised land he struck the rock and water flowed, they wore shoes for 40 years that never failed..You are Gods’ business and he is not slack concerning his children.
– His unchangeableness and faithfulness Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away Matthew 24:35. For I am the LORD, I change not Malachi 3:6.
Gods’ word is his promise to his children, every chapter, each verse and each line. The book of Deuteronomy speaks of the promises to the believer. It also gives an account of curses which we don’t like to hear about, but in order to gain the promises there are conditions. “God does not bless mess” Sometimes we question the blessings of the unbeliever but their blessings are from a different source which will dry up.
1) Be not unequally yoked – Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?2 Corinthians 6:12. If you need the blessings of God to be inherent in your life, be not unequally yoked, the relationship you are in must not hinder your relationship with God. Both parties must be at the same level spiritually, when God speaks a word both can see and hear what God is saying.
2) Separate oneself from the world – certain habits and friends which are of the world and encouraging worldly pleasures will have to be removed to gain the promises.
3) Touch not things that are foul and unclean. Speaks about children of darkness, homosexuals, and demonic activities. Promises become null and void when we start mixing with these unclean things. Since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God 2 Corinthians 7:11
4) Lose the Fear of God – The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding Proverbs 9:11. Those who lack the Fear of the Lord, lack Wisdom. When we look at churches today allowing gay priests into the church we have lost Fear for God and sacrificed beliefs to be accepted in the eyes of the World.
The promises of God are unlimited and all compassing. When he blesses you it is in all areas, financial, emotional, spiritual…..He also adds to the blessing he will give us what we want and much more once we abide by the conditions.
THE PROMISES OF GOD:-
1) To deliver us from death – But we had the sentence of death in ourselves, that we should not trust in ourselves, but in God which raiseth the dead: delivered us from so great a death, and doth deliver: in whom we trust that he will yet deliver [us]2 Corinthians 1:10. Man is limited but God has defeated death, God has promised us eternal life
2) Wisdom and Knowledge –The account of Solomon –Give me now wisdom and knowledge, that I may go out and come in before this people: for who can judge this thy people, that is so great?And God said to Solomon, Because this was in thine heart, and thou hast not asked riches, wealth, or honor, nor the life of thine enemies, neither yet hast asked long life; but hast asked wisdom and knowledge for thyself, that thou mayest judge my people, over whom I have made thee king:
Wisdom and knowledge is granted unto thee; and I will give thee riches, and wealth, and honor, such as none of the kings have had that have been before thee, neither shall there any after thee have the like 2 Chronicles 1 10:12. He added to Solomon’s request because of his obedience to him. “Ask and it shall be given, knock and the door shall be opened”
3) My promises are to the chosen – God has predestinated your life as his chosen to receive of his blessings. Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ: According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved. In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace Ephesians 1 3:7
4) The Power of the Holy Ghost That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith Galatians 3:14. God has promised us the comforter, to guide us in all truth. When God saves one person in a household he will cause the unsaved to look at you and your joy and desire to follow after him “As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord Joshua 24:15”
5) Promises are to them that love the Lord – Our love must be constant and consistent, we must love him when things are good and when we are in the fiery furnace. Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him James 1:12
6) His promises are exceedingly great and precious – Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust 2 Peter 1:4. Hold unto my promises, “I will not give my children stone if they ask for bread, I will not give a serpent if they ask for meat”
7) Fulfillment of prophecy – Faith is hindered by unbelief. The account of Abraham and Sarah. The angel of God said to Abraham he and his wife Sarah would have a child although Abraham was 100 years old and Sarah was barren. The ways of the Lord are passed finding out. It takes Supernatural Faith to believe and hold unto his promises. Stagger not in unbelief if God said it, he will do it. The scripture later records they had a son named Issac.
Gods’ Promises initiates Gods’ performance. “Thou wilt keep him in Perfect Peace, whose mind is stayed on Thee because he trusteth in Thee Isaiah 26:3
If he Promises and we remind him of it he has to perform it. Let your prayer be “God I put you into Remembrance, you promised that I will be the head and not the tail the first and not the last and I believe you will do it for me”