“Sunday 13th June 2010 Part 2 – Mountain of Service – Mount Sinai”
Exodus 19 1-6, 9-20 1In the third month, when the children of Israel were gone forth out of the land of Egypt, the same day came they into the wilderness of Sinai. 2For they were departed from Rephidim, and were come to the desert of Sinai, and had pitched in the wilderness; and there Israel camped before the mount. 3And Moses went up unto God, and the LORD called unto him out of the mountain, saying, Thus shalt thou say to the house of Jacob, and tell the children of Israel; 4Ye have seen what I did unto the Egyptians, and how I bare you on eagles’ wings, and brought you unto myself. 5Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine: 6And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.
9And the LORD said unto Moses, Lo, I come unto thee in a thick cloud, that the people may hear when I speak with thee, and believe thee for ever. And Moses told the words of the people unto the LORD. 10And the LORD said unto Moses, Go unto the people, and sanctify them to day and to morrow, and let them wash their clothes, 11And be ready against the third day: for the third day the LORD will come down in the sight of all the people upon mount Sinai. 12And thou shalt set bounds unto the people round about, saying, Take heed to yourselves, that ye go not up into the mount, or touch the border of it: whosoever toucheth the mount shall be surely put to death: 13There shall not an hand touch it, but he shall surely be stoned, or shot through; whether it be beast or man, it shall not live: when the trumpet soundeth long, they shall come up to the mount. 14And Moses went down from the mount unto the people, and sanctified the people; and they washed their clothes. 15And he said unto the people, Be ready against the third day: come not at your wives. 16And it came to pass on the third day in the morning, that there were thunders and lightnings, and a thick cloud upon the mount, and the voice of the trumpet exceeding loud; so that all the people that was in the camp trembled. 17And Moses brought forth the people out of the camp to meet with God; and they stood at the nether part of the mount. 18And mount Sinai was altogether on a smoke, because the LORD descended upon it in fire: and the smoke thereof ascended as the smoke of a furnace, and the whole mount quaked greatly. 19And when the voice of the trumpet sounded long, and waxed louder and louder, Moses spake, and God answered him by a voice. 20And the LORD came down upon mount Sinai, on the top of the mount: and the LORD called Moses up to the top of the mount; and Moses went up.
The children of Israel journeyed from Egypt to Mount Sinai. It is recorded they left Egypt on the day of Passover and it would take 50 days to where they camped on the Mount on the day of Pentecost. This mountain is a very rich mountain known for its’ mineral wealth. It is also a very significant mountain as Moses were given instructions every time he went up to Mount Sinai (Ten Commandments)
When you get saved God will take you higher to ascend the mountain to a place spiritually where he wants you to do something for him. God calls us to service. Coming to church is good but serving God is better. John 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth. Service requires you to ascend to a new level when you feel as though you have accomplished everything at the level you are at then it’s time to move to the next level. Before you can be a singer, guitar player, usher, communion server you must first be a soul winner.
The steps in ascension of service:-
1) Being called to the mountain – Moses was a fugitive and murderer, having killed an Egyptian in the palace he fled to a place called Midian where he found his wife. There his father-in-law gave him his sheep to tend in the mountain. God took a murderer and a man who stuttered and called him to service. Aren’t you glad when man looks at the outward and rejects you, God looks at your heart and welcomes you?
2) Being commissioned – God identified himself, the situation and the things he wanted Moses to do., God will never call you and not be specific with you. Exodus 3 2-10 And the angel of the LORD appeared unto him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush: and he looked, and, behold, the bush burned with fire, and the bush was not consumed. 3And Moses said, I will now turn aside, and see this great sight, why the bush is not burnt. 4And when the LORD saw that he turned aside to see, God called unto him out of the midst of the bush, and said, Moses, Moses. And he said, Here am I. 5And he said, Draw not nigh hither: put off thy shoes from off thy feet, for the place whereon thou standest is holy ground. 6Moreover he said, I am the God of thy father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. And Moses hid his face; for he was afraid to look upon God. 7And the LORD said, I have surely seen the affliction of my people which are in Egypt, and have heard their cry by reason of their taskmasters; for I know their sorrows; 8And I am come down to deliver them out of the hand of the Egyptians, and to bring them up out of that land unto a good land and a large, unto a land flowing with milk and honey; unto the place of the Canaanites, and the Hittites, and the Amorites, and the Perizzites, and the Hivites, and the Jebusites. 9Now therefore, behold, the cry of the children of Israel is come unto me: and I have also seen the oppression wherewith the Egyptians oppress them. 10Come now therefore, and I will send thee unto Pharaoh, that thou mayest bring forth my people the children of Israel out of Egypt. God gave Moses commands:-
- Draw closer, do not be afraid why the bush is not being burnt. God was giving Moses a supernatural experience to bring him into his call of service.
- Take off your shoes – shoes represented un-cleanliness. When God calls you to service he will put you in a position to cause you to separate yourself from the things of the world, from vice, from anything that will contaminate your soul. When God calls you he will call you to a place and an environment where he is in control.
- God told Moses to take the children of Israel out of Egypt. Moses asked ‘who shall I say to them sent me?” 14And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you. 15 And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, The LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this [is] my name for ever, and this [is] my memorial unto all generations I will give you the words to say when you go before Pharaoh – when God calls you, you no longer say your words but you speak through Gods’ anointing.
- God commanded Moses to cast down his rod before Pharaoh and it will turn into a snake, hold the snake at the tail. Moses did not think they would believe God appeared unto him. This would demonstrate the Power & endorsement of God’s Word. The Lord says behold I give you the Power to let the people know you have come in the Power and Anointing of Almighty God.
Moses obeyed God, he moved to another level from being a keeper of natural physical sheep to a keeper of people. Moses leadership was tested each time he went up to the mountain. On the mountain of service after the experiences and battles you will be transformed to another level of leadership. A level which will require true worship and true commitment.
3) Being concealed – God hides good leaders. God concealed Moses on the mountain because he was about to transfer leadership and bless each tribe of Israel. The devil went face to face with God to try to find the body of Moses.
From his very birth God concealed Moses. Moses was born at a time when Pharaoh made a decree throughout the land that they kill all new born male children. His mother put him in a basket and sent him down the river so he would not be found and killed by Pharaoh. The devil will try to get at you early but God will put someone to protect you from your coming out. In the middle of adversity God will conceal you.
When Moses was dying they took him up and laid him on the mountain of service. God kept Moses to the end and did not allow the devil to take him back to the valley.
God was about to pass on spiritual leadership to Joshua. Moses told Joshua “I am not going to cross over with you, I’ve done all God has instructed me to do, there have been times when I became weary and frustrated but my son its’ time you take over. Call all the elders of the tribe together” Moses then re-counted the history of Israel and their forty years through the wilderness. If God is about to allow you to lead you will need to know where you came from so you can appreciate where you are going. God was about to bless each tribe of Israel. Good Leadership will bring you to a place where you will bless others and release them.
In a time of transferring of Blessing and Leadership, God will conceal you. The climb and rewards of the mountain of Service is Eternal Life. Do not give up there is no greater reward than standing on the mountain of Service. All you have accumulated will fade away but all things which you have done for Christ will last.