Isaiah 40 27-31 27Why sayest thou, O Jacob, and speakest, O Israel, My way is hid from the LORD, and my judgment is passed over from my God? 28Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of his understanding. 29He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength. 30Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall: 31But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
There is an old fable which states that God created beautiful birds but without wings. One day while God was looking at the birds he realized something was missing and he made wings for them. At first the wings were heavy and cumbersome but as the birds got use to them they realized they were now able to use their wings to fly and soar to another level. What was first looked at as a burden turned into a blessing. We too must have patience, take a deeper look at our situation and we would see the blessing.
Blessed is any weight, however overwhelming, which God has been so good as to fasten with His own hand upon our shoulders. We sometimes refuse to bend our shoulders to accept these burdens and we pass having an opportunity for new growth. There are burdens which we lay at the cross and leave it there in Faith believing God will work it out for us but there are burdens which we complain about, asking God why he is putting us through this and these are the burdens which turn into blessings.
The children of Israel in Babylon started to question God
- “Where are you God? Have you deserted us?”
- They questioned Gods’ existence, his perfection, his creative power, his validity and integrity. The same God who always provided for them each time they were in the midst of trials and trouble. The spirit of disobedience caused them to question instead of becoming stronger in time of persecution.
- “God you say you are everlasting, you say you are the creator but it seems as though the problems we are in are hid from you”
- God, we can’t help ourselves in this situation but it looks like you can’t help us either
God heard their cries. Know that when we cry out to God in disbelief he isn’t lost for an answer he isn’t trying to find the solution to our problems…..he is the answer to every problem, he is the comfort for every sorrowing heart. God gives us certain assurances:-
- God will hedge us around so the enemy cannot see us, when we feel as though God cannot see us when we are down in the valley, the Bible tells us “his eyes rove to and fro” Job 3:23[Why is light given] to a man whose way is hid, and whom God hath hedged in?
- God cannot change, he cannot deny himself and he cannot lie….
- God cannot desert you, cry unto him and wait on the Lord. Psalms 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: let them be ashamed which transgress without cause. Why question Gods’ sufficiency he will always supply for us, he is all sufficient. It may seem a little in our eyes but in the eyes of God he has given you enough Philipians 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus
- Gods’ power is never exhausted. Gods’ power is inexhaustible more than we can imagine, it’s no secret what God can do, what he can do for others he can do for you. Man’s power to deal with sin is limited but Gods’ power is limitless. Isaiah 40:28 Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of his understanding.
- Gods’ wisdom surpasses our ways – Isaiah 55 8&9 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
When we are weak, weary and low down on the brink of giving up, it is not the time to complain but to throw ourselves in Almighty God he is well able to lift us up from the pit and take us through. “What a friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and grief to bear”
How easily we forget the goodness of God and what he has done for us, what he has brought us out from, when we were weak and heavy laden he gave us rest..The children of Israel needed to go back and remember what they came through, the Red Sea, when they were thirsty God struck the rocks and water flowed, when they were hungry God provided bread from heaven “manna”, when they walked through the desert their shoes never failed them….We must constantly be in remembrance of where we were to where God has brought us.
The children of Israel became distracted and desperate for an answer from God but when God didn’t answer when they wanted him to they became unwilling to trust in God, unwilling to look to him for help and to keep him as their sole source. “God is not feeble, he is not faint hearted, he is strong….Ephesians 6:10 & 11 10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. 11Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
When the children of Israel questioned God he spoke through Isaiah:-
- they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength – You may not see the answer as yet but if you wait by Faith God will come through. Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. As we wait on the Lord he shall renew (spring up, charge up, to go forward) our strength. Renewal – refilling of oil in our lamps, oil signifies the Holy Spirit. When the burdens come our anointing begins to fail, we do not feel to pray…..call on the Lord for a fresh anointing to go forward, to see the plans of the enemy, to tell temptation to step back I have a fresh anointing. Isaiah 33:2 O LORD, be gracious unto us; we have waited for thee: be thou their arm every morning, our salvation also in the time of trouble. In our waiting although we have been disobedient you will renew our strength like the dew of the morning. When you have done everything to stand in the battle continue to stand….
- they shall mount up with wings as eagles. The eagle is the only creature that can soar so close to the sun, but the Grace of God will make you soar close to his SON. I will give them wings to soar to those who understand the Grace of God. The children of Israel forsook the Grace of God in their time of adversity. 1 Peter 5:10 But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle [you].
2 Corinthians 6 1-11 gives us the assurance that we will be more than conquerors if we be obedient to God. “Greater is he that is in you than he that is in the world.
Those who are totally submitted in God, he will cause you to soar, to run and not be weary. You cannot run the race without the Word of God. If you run and bind up the Word of God in your heart you will not be weary. Be ye not weary of well doing look unto Jesus the author and finisher of our Faith.
If we faint in this day of adversity our strength is questioned. Walk and not faint, the children of Israel became discouraged and disoriented they didn’t want to walk again…”through God all things are possible” When I walk I walk in Faith with my head held high….
God will give you the ability to walk through the valley of the shadow of death and fear no evil (Psalm 23)…When we walk in the way of God the burdens will become Blessings and our Faith will be enhanced….