Ezekiel 33 1-9 Again the word of the LORD came unto me, saying, Son of man, speak to the children of thy people, and say unto them, When I bring the sword upon a land, if the people of the land take a man of their coasts, and set him for their watchman: If when he seeth the sword come upon the land, he blow the trumpet, and warn the people; Then whosoever heareth the sound of the trumpet, and taketh not warning; if the sword come, and take him away, his blood shall be upon his own head. He heard the sound of the trumpet, and took not warning; his blood shall be upon him. But he that taketh warning shall deliver his soul. But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the trumpet, and the people be not warned; if the sword come, and take [any] person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at the watchman’s hand. So thou, O son of man, I have set thee a watchman unto the house of Israel; therefore thou shalt hear the word at my mouth, and warn them from me. When I say unto the wicked, O wicked [man], thou shalt surely die; if thou dost not speak to warn the wicked from his way, that wicked [man] shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand. Nevertheless, if thou warn the wicked of his way to turn from it; if he do not turn from his way, he shall die in his iniquity; but thou hast delivered thy soul.
2 years prior to the scripture the Children of Israel were overcome with worry that the enemy will come in and take their land and they hardened their hearts towards God. Ezekiel went to warn them just as he did their forefathers to arm and protect themselves for the enemy was near to place a watchman on the look out.
Watch – to stand guard, to take into custody, a military stance to watch while others sleep….In the book of Nehemiah he had people stand and keep watch for the enemy while the wall was being built Nehemiah 4:9 But we made our prayer to God, and had men on watch against them day and night because of them.
We must beware for Satan your adversary is like a roaring lion he is mobilizing his army but thank God he is the great watchman he doesn’t slumber nor sleep. When the enemy is trying to attack the children of God his eyes rove to and fro so the enemy cant by-pass him, he is always keeping watch over his children.
The role of the watchman is a very important and dangerous one. If the enemy doesn’t silence the watchman he will be able to sound the alarm and give an advance warning that trouble is on the way. Without the watchman the trumpet cannot be sounded.
We must understand the role of the watchman so we can appreciate what he is there to do. Psalm 127:1 Except the LORD build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the LORD keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain.
Characteristics of The watchman:-
1) To keep watch – A watchman must always be on the look out. Luke 29:36 Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.
3) The watchman must lift a standard for the people. If he drops the standard the people will perish.
4) Must declare Righteousness and Salvation – Proverbs 14:34 Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people.
5) Must not compromise with the enemy – the watchman must be able to say it as he sees it and not “sugar coat it – sin is sin” The reason why the church has compromised itself is because the watchmen fail to tell the people the correct thing, the watchman must tell the people what God says.
6) Re-instill the fear of God
7) Called to account, admonish, teach to make known, to show people from the Word of God where they are going wrong.
8) Precursor to sounding the alarm – intercessors must be praying to be ready for when the enemy comes 1 Thessalonians 5:3 For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape
Ezekiel spoke to the people to let them know those who listen to the watchman will not perish and to the wicked to take heed of the warning for the wages of sin is death, make your crooked path straight otherwise you are doomed to hell “Matthew 7 13&14 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
There are 4 things the watchman warns the people against –
1) Satan – the devil is real. The Bible speaks about the devices of Satan from the beginning of time to the end. The watchman must be fully aware of the devices of Satan so he could recognize it. If you resist the devil he will surely flee from you. Satan is the maker of affliction be able to recognize the entrapments and pits he has set.
2) Sin – shortfalls in your life. Paul describes sin as missing the target. Every time you try to make an effort to move forward the devil will remind you of your short falls and the poor decisions you made in the past but God is a forgiving God although your sin may be red as scarlet he will forgive you and toss your sins into the sea of forgetfulness. When the devil tries to remind you, you can look him the eye and say “I may have done that in my past but I am a child of God and I have been washed in the blood of the Lamb”
3) Salvation – Today is the day for your Salvation. The gift of God is eternal life. Heaven and hell is real, there is a heaven to gain and a hell to shun, there is a great gulf fixed between no one who is in hell can cross over into heaven.
4) The sudden and unexpected coming of the Lord. Repent, be baptized, come out of your sin for no one knows the day and hour of his coming. 1 Thessalonians 4 13-17 13But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. 14For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. 15For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. 16For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 17Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord
Now is the acceptable time, if you hear his voice harden not your heart. Would you be ready when Jesus comes, are your garments spotless, are they white as snow?