Sunday 22nd August 2010 – Pastor Mark Ballosingh
Numbers 21 10-20: 10 And the children of Israel set forward, and pitched in Oboth. 11 And they journeyed from Oboth, and pitched at Ijeabarim, in the wilderness which [is] before Moab, toward the sunrising.12 From thence they removed, and pitched in the valley of Zared. 13 From thence they removed, and pitched on the other side of Arnon, which [is] in the wilderness that cometh out of the coasts of the Amorites: for Arnon [is] the border of Moab, between Moab and the Amorites. 14 Wherefore it is said in the book of the wars of the LORD, What he did in the Red sea, and in the brooks of Arnon, 15 And at the stream of the brooks that goeth down to the dwelling of Ar, and lieth upon the border of Moab. 16 And from thence [they went] to Beer: that [is] the well whereof the LORD spake unto Moses, Gather the people together, and I will give them water. 17 Then Israel sang this song, Spring up, O well; sing ye unto it: 18 The princes digged the well, the nobles of the people digged it, by [the direction of] the lawgiver, with their staves. And from the wilderness [they went] to Mattanah: 19 And from Mattanah to Nahaliel: and from Nahaliel to Bamoth: 20 And from Bamoth [in] the valley, that [is] in the country of Moab, to the top of Pisgah, which looketh toward Jeshimon.
Praise is refreshment for the Soul. Praise is a Weapon of Warfare.
The Children of Israel would walk through the wilderness for 40 years, they moved from place to place. Some areas were dry without water, there was nothing to sustain them or to refresh them.
Water is essential to the survival of man. The body is made up of water and man can survive without food but not without water. Water is refreshment for those in a dry and thirsty place. Water was the only resource available to the Children of Israel in the scripture above.
In these times water is becoming a scarce and expensive commodity as the rivers and streams are being polluted, places which had water no longer has. It is said that the world will run out of water before it runs out of oil.
1) Symbol of Baptism – enduement and power of the Holy Spirit. Water is the vehicle whereby we are baptized. The Bible speaks about the former rain and the latter rain…causes things to spring to life. Joel 2:23 Be glad then, ye children of Zion, and rejoice in the LORD your God: for he hath given you the former rain moderately, and he will cause to come down for you the rain, the former rain, and the latter rain in the first [month].
2) Spiritual Growth – Psalm 1:3 And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.
3) Spiritual Life – Many Believers are religious but not righteous and are longing for Jesus Christ. Revelation 22:1 And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb. When the Children of Israel were thirsty, Moses struck the rock and water flowed from it. Exodus 17:6 Behold, I will stand before thee there upon the rock in Horeb; and thou shalt smite the rock, and there shall come water out of it, that the people may drink. And Moses did so in the sight of the elders of Israel. 1 Corinthians 10:4 And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.
4) Purification of Sin – water can separate things, clean from unclean Numbers 8:7 And thus shalt thou do unto them, to cleanse them: Sprinkle water of purifying upon them, and let them shave all their flesh, and let them wash their clothes, and so make themselves clean. Numbers 31:23 Every thing that may abide the fire, ye shall make it go through the fire, and it shall be clean: nevertheless it shall be purified with the water of separation: and all that abideth not the fire ye shall make go through the water. Numbers 19:20 But the man that shall be unclean, and shall not purify himself, that soul shall be cut off from among the congregation, because he hath defiled the sanctuary of the LORD: the water of separation hath not been sprinkled upon him; he is unclean.
5) Spiritual Water – able to refresh those who are in a dry and parched place in their Spiritual Life. Water is a powerful force it moves things out of the way, it removes things and push them into the correct place. When water needs to move nothing can stop its’ force. When the Holy Spirit starts to move it is a Powerful Entity.
The Children of Israel had the experience of coming into a land which was without water and they would grumble and complain Exodus 17:3And the people thirsted there for water; and the people murmured against Moses, and said, Wherefore is this that thou hast brought us up out of Egypt, to kill us and our children and our cattle with thirst in spite of their disbelief and worrying God would deliver them. This time because they had gone through this situation before they waited on instructions from God. In order to accomplish their purpose they had to go through a process to get this water of refreshment.
God has a Plan for each one of us but we must go through a Process in-order to accomplish his Purpose in our lives. The process will build and mould us but more than accomplishing the purpose is appreciating the process. As you go through the process there is something to look forward to knowing that it is all part of Gods’ plan and divine purpose in your life.
The Children of Israel were thirsty they had a need for water. For a purpose to be established there must be a need. God gave Moses specific instructions in-order to access the water.
1) God told Moses in Verse 16 Gather the people together, and I will give them water, there is something that happens when Gods’ people come together in one accord that brings the outpouring and overflow of the Holy Spirit. The book of Acts speaks about being in one accord and the Power of the Holy Spirit which came upon them. Acts 2 1-4 1And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. 2And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. 3And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. 4And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
The devil will try to keep you isolated, keep you away church and from those who will support you Gods’ Word has given us the assurance that one can put a thousand to flight and two can put ten thousand.
When Gods’ people come together in unity to pray and intercede the devil has to take a step back, the devil will try to attack one but when he hits one the others will rise up in one accord. Hebrews 10:25Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
2) Stand in circles – made a formation demonstrate they were unified. A circle is a symbol of unity, a circle in the form of a ring symbolizes eternity.
3) I will give them water, Israel started to sing, they sang a specific song “Spring up oh well” The Power of Praise will cause things to happen, our Praise must be relevant and applicable to what God is doing in our life. We must be able to Praise God for what he is about to do and not only for what he has done. Praise and Faith will cause us to move to the next level in our Spiritual Life where Praise can energize Faith to thank God for the blessings which are about to come.
4) Called the Princes, the nobles all were called to dig. The Bible underlines geographically where the water flowed, where it stopped and where it flowed underground. In the natural eye the Children of Israel saw the land as dry ground they didn’t see or hear the stream of fresh water which flowed under the ground on which they stood. God had already placed their Blessing but it was inaccessible as he required them to dig in-order to receive the fresh water. God didn’t call only one group, he called everyone to come together because everyone would benefit from the water. They started to dig until they got to the water, in their dry and thirsty position there was refreshment. Their Praise, Faith and Actions allowed them to tap into a river of Blessing, a reservoir of refreshment in a situation where they couldn’t see it and there was no evidence of it.
Faith without works is dead we may be Praising and we may have the Faith but God requires us to do something to access the Blessing.
God doesn’t wish that any perish but all have Everlasting Life. In your grief, turbulence, in the midst of your desert, there is a stream of fresh water waiting to spring forth in your life.