Sunday 17th October 2010 – Pastor Mark Ballosingh
John 15 18-21: 18 If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before [it hated] you. 19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you. 20 Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also. 21 But all these things will they do unto you for my name’s sake, because they know not him that sent me.
In the Hebrew language the word world has 4 meanings:-
1) Erets – ground / land which we stand upon
2) Cheled – time / age
3) Ohlam – Eternity
4) Tabel – the inhabited world
Jesus speaks about the world many times in the Bible related scriptures:- Matthew 5, 12, 13, 16, 18, 24, 25, 26, 28, Mark 4, 8, 10, 14, 16, Luke 2, 4, 9, 11, 12, 16, 18, 20, John 1 – 18
When Pentecost came the disciples turned the world upside down, the world has been turned upside down for too long it’s time the church turns the world right-side up.
Let us take a look at the World translated as “The System” – as Believers we are in the world but are not of the world. Some people are so hooked up on the world and so dependant on it that they are afraid to step out of the system, but if God so takes care of the birds of the air, he will surely take care of his children, God is still in control. The World:-
Ø The World is evil – Isaiah 13:11And I will punish the world for [their] evil, and the wicked for their iniquity; and I will cause the arrogancy of the proud to cease, and will lay low the haughtiness of the terrible. The system of the world is based on evil, through one man sin and evil came into the world and sin brought with it death.
Ø The world is filled with tares – Matthew 13:38 The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one; The world brings with it so much stress, woes, concerns and challenges that we cannot separate ourselves from the problems to spend time with God.
Ø The world is a hateful and cruel place – Jesus says in John 15 (above)“I am not from here, I am from above, if the world hates you it is because they hated me first and it is because they know not The Father. On the job people may smile with you and converse nicely with you but their thoughts are driven by evil.
Ø The world is full of disappointments there is no surety or security in anything. People jobs are not secure, people who were in high position and respected by many have brought disappointment.
Ø The world is corrupted the devil uses the world as his foundation to bring forth evil, the devil is the prince of the world and his mission is to bring down the Body of Christ to conform to his ways and beliefs….many men rather darkness than light.
Ø The world is a deceitful place, not every one who cries “Lord, Lord” and goes to church regularly will enter into The Gates of Heaven
The world is formulating a plan the Anti-Christ is here present in the world and is using law to conform people to his plans. Law is the tool which the devil uses to subject man to the system, law is man made and men have bent it and twisted it for their own selfish desires. Law was used by the Scribes and Pharisees to subject Jesus to their system.
And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s. And they marvelled at him.
Politics is one of the most corrupt systems in the world today. Business is also corrupt out of which people are misled and placed under the subjection of the laws of the world, false promises of wealth and fame for e.g. the financial institutions where people have invested their money with promises of interest and gains.
The world which was made by God became contaminated and in its’ contaminated state we must live with those who are contaminated but as Believers we must not become contaminated for we know the truth and the truth shall set us free….The Bible talks about the sea being salted yet the fish of the sea are not salted, just as Believers we are in the world but not of the world. We are fish in the sea, Jesus is saying you may be in an environment but the environment should not impact you, you must impact your environment. As a Believer you must have the discernment to tell who is of God and who is of the world.
The world has infiltrated the church and there is corruption in the church. The world’s perception of the church is that we are no different from them, corruption has no boundaries once there is an open door it will go there……Some pastors have turned from God’s way and turned to the ways of Belial., turned from preaching the true Gospel and only what they want to preach, they have taken the offerings of their church for their own personal benefit – ”fleecing the flock” but in all of this a few elect must stand up for the truth and stand up for God today for when God judges he will judge in The House of God first……
God has put us in an environment to change it, make a difference and bring about a marked change in the world. It is a hard road to walk as everywhere you go the tentacles of the world reaches out to grab you and put you in a spider web to corrupt you and your family, but Stand Up, Stand Up for Jesus….
If you are a friend of the World you are an enemy of God…there is a line drawn and a standard set, there are some things which we do not conform to as Believers. Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
“How do Believers deal with the World?”
1) You are the light, Matthew 5:14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid – which inculcates that the world is a place of darkness, darkness seems to be overtaking our country, witchcraft is raising its’ head throughout, the lodge is taking over the business community. As a Believer, where I walk darkness must make a way, where I step anything which is of darkness must disseminate, I represent the truth and the light.
Darkness brings with it fear and uncertainty. In the beginning speaks about the earth being in chaos, there was darkness, when Jesus spoke about storms it represented darkness…..You are a Child of Light and not darkness,
“Greater is he who is in us than he that is in the world”
2) You are the salt of the earth – Matthew 5:13 Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men. The Bible talks about salt which represents the children of God being covenanted with God and represented in this world. Salt has a distinctive taste, it preserves, so too as Believers we make the difference, our source is greater than others……..we have The Blood, we have the Holy Ghost, we have the promise of Resurrection…..this is why when people have tried all they could to help solve their problems they would come to the Church where they know there is a marked difference.
3) You are called to be different 1 John 5:4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, [even] our faith. Faith is the victory which overcometh the world, Faith walk with God is the process of being born of God. Nicodemus came to Jesus in the darkness to ask “Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother’s womb, and be born? John 3:4. We expect God to come to us in darkness to hear and answer our cries and are ignorant to deal with the things of God.
The process of being born in God is a process of Faith, we cannot see God but we believe in God by Faith. One of the purposes of the world is to diminish our Faith and break the will of believers but God says “Be strong and of good courage, be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed for the Lord thy God is with thee.
While the religion of the world tries to take over the church, the church remains dormant because she cannot distinguish between the world and the church. There is a call for Believers today to make a marked difference where the world wants you to conform and believe without them you cannot make it but “God is your source”.
Stand Up and make a marked difference, we are a Royal Priesthood, a chosen generation, we are not bought with silver or gold but we are bought with the precious Blood of the Lamb.