Wednesday 9th February 2011 – Pastor Mark Ballosingh
1 Peter 5:10 But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle [you].
Romans 1 8-13 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God. 9But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. 10And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. 11But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you. 12Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh. 13For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
The purpose of all spiritual gifts and any spiritual visitation to the believer is to get you established.
Let us examine the meaning of the word established – to set up on a firm or permanent basis, to make something accepted, recognised, to have confirmation, something well organised, well planned and has order. The opposite of established is unreliable, fallible, not properly planned, disorganised, weak, false to some degree.
When the world looks at the church and the believer they must see an established church and individual.
Look at your life and testimony, is it established?
In the book of Acts when the Holy Spirit came the disciples, who were new converts were taken to establish them in the Word. Acts 9:31 Then had the churches rest throughout all Judaea and Galilee and Samaria, and were edified; and walking in the fear of the Lord, and in the comfort of the Holy Ghost, were multiplied.
1 Corinthians 14:4 He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church.
Romans 16:20 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,
1 Thessalonians 3:11 Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.– Establishing Faith
Acts 14:22 Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God. – Confirmation
WHY DO I NEED TO BE ESTABLISHED? – Every believer at some point in time will have to affirm their Faith in God.
• In the world today there are many false doctrines and many people are easily swayed. When you are established situations wouldn’t push you down and weaken your faith.
• God will keep you in perfect peace – established in this context is fixed, stayed upon. David said my heart is fixed and my mind is stayed upon you…”He will keep you in perfect peace if you keep your mind fixed on Him”
• Strengthen thy Brethren Luke 22:32 But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren…Jesus says to Simon and Peter I prayed for you and God showed me the devil is going to tempt you but I pray when you get saved again you will establish those around you. Simon, Peter who walked with Jesus and were close to the Master and it wouldn’t take anything for the devil to make you fall. God had to make them fall to show them that they weren’t established in the first place. In the garden of Gethsemane Simon was carrying a dagger on him although he walked with the master for 3 ½ years he still was carrying and holding unto things and was not established. Not because you go to church and give your tithes means you are established.
• Revelation 3:2 And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead. 2 Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God. 3 Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee. – God is talking to the church in Sardis, amongst you are a few Godly people, on the outside they appear to be a lively church but the church is unstable and had a form of Godliness but denied the power thereof. When you are established your testimony should not be different from your lifestyle.
God warns the church “shalt not know the hour I shalt come upon you” It is easy for a thief to come upon those who are not established. When you are established you stand upon the Word, stand upon Faith….
• To conform to the obedience of Faith Romans 16:25 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,. Empowerment comes when you are obedient in Faith.
• To be un-blameable in the sight of God 1 Thessalonians 3:13 To the end he may stablish your hearts unblameable in holiness before God, even our Father, at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ with all his saints.. When you are un-blameable in the sight of God, He clothes you with a different garment so when the devil comes around you he cannot recognise and touch you. The account of Joshua when the devil came to accuse him, God took off his clothes and clothed him to be un-blameable and untouchable by the devil. Zechariah 3 1-4 1Then he showed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right hand to accuse him. 2The LORD said to Satan, “The LORD rebuke you, Satan! Indeed, the LORD who has chosen Jerusalem rebuke you! Is this not a brand plucked from the fire?” 3Now Joshua was clothed with filthy garments and standing before the angel. 4He spoke and said to those who were standing before him, saying, “Remove the filthy garments from him.”
• To stand fast 2 Thessalonians 2 15:17 Who both killed the Lord Jesus, and their own prophets, and have persecuted us; and they please not God, and are contrary to all men: 16 Forbidding us to speak to the Gentiles that they might be saved, to fill up their sins alway: for the wrath is come upon them to the uttermost.17 But we, brethren, being taken from you for a short time in presence, not in heart, endeavoured the more abundantly to see your face with great desire. – Hold to your tradition…..stablish you in every good word & work
• The Lord will keep you from evil – Psalm 121:7 The LORD will protect you from all evil;. An established believer has confidence in the Lord “some trust in chariots, some trust in horses but we will forever trust in the Lord” One of the greatest evil which has hot the churches around the world is pilfering the lucre “fleecing the flock” The church needs to come back to God and establish themselves in the word. The church is on the onslaught of evil, evil doesn’t attack evil, evil may subdue evil for a while(when we go to jah-reh, this spirit that is invoked will just quiet the weaker spirit), this is why the church is always a target of evil – for the church represents light and righteousness.
• The coming of the Lord draweth nigh – James 5:8 Blessed [are] the pure in heart: for they shall see God., 1 Thessalonians 4 16-18 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 17 Then we which are alive [and] remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. 18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words, if there was ever a time to be established it is now for Jesus is not coming, He is on His way.
• To be established in the present truth 2 Peter 1:12 Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by [your] good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation….there was a past truth – traditions of men where blood sacrifices were made. When Christ died, the ultimate sacrifice was made – “no remission of sin without the shedding of Blood” there is no other sacrifice to be made for Christ paid it all on the Cross. If you do not establish yourself on the Word, you are on sinking sand and the devil will wipe you away.
• A line is drawn – when you are established a line is drawn around you, things and places which you used to do and go to, you no longer. Establish yourself in the power of the Word and in the power of the anointing of the Holy Spirit.
• To be established in your going out and coming in Luke 9:51 And it came to pass, when the time was come that he should be received up, he stedfastly set his face to go to Jerusalem, Establish in this scripture meant he made up his mind. He purposed in his heart, Jesus knew exactly where he had to go for this was the call to his destined purpose. Some of us are failing and faltering because we do not have a defined purpose, we have not prioritised our life and have not sat down to talk and hear from God. Establish your purpose, place and destination.
• Boundaries are established. Luke 16:26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that [would come] from thence.. Even in death God has established boundaries. Since creation God established boundaries –God told the sea you can only come this far.
As a growing believer, establish your boundaries and as you grow deeper God, He will extend and expand your boundaries. ……one of the greatest failures of the church today is she has failed to establish boundaries and have allowed people who are committing adultery, fornication to lead or serve communion because those people pay their tithes or contribute to the activities of the church.
Boundaries are especially important in spiritual warfare…..Matthew 12 44-45 Then he saith, I will return into my house from whence I came out; and when he is come, he findeth it empty, swept, and garnished. 45Then goeth he, and taketh with himself seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter in and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first. Even so shall it be also unto this wicked generation.
In your Christian walk, how many of us will say I have not grown because I have not been established? Establishment is measured growth, boundaries help us establish growth.
In the next few services we will be looking at the 4 steps in establishing yourself in God”-
4) Equipping the saints
Come to a place of empowerment and you will know who you are in God.