Sunday 20th February 2011 – Pastor Mark Ballosingh
The church has fallen short in the process of educating the believer, the church has twisted the needs of the believer and have capitalised only on a prosperity ministry to selfishly address their needs and have not addressed their soul and the spiritual gains.
An educated individual in the spirit is an empowered individual..The secular education of the world is good however there is another level of education that the church needs to come into – spiritual. The Bible says with all the secular knowledge you have it will not help you to come into the Holy Spirit, it will never work a miracle and it will never save you until you come into the knowledge of Christ.
Romans 1:11 For I long to see you, that I may impart unto you some spiritual gift, to the end ye may be established;
Paul is addressing a letter from the church of Rome, in this scripture Paul refers to the laying of hands as impartation, for in the laying of hands there will be an impartation of knowledge and direction. One of the things to be established in God is impartation.
There are 2 problems with the learning process:-
1) Sometimes we read the Word but not everything you read is applicable to what you are going through at the time and there is a gap between the receiving of knowledge and the correct application of knowledge.
2) There must be suffering and no one likes to suffer but one of the greatest pieces of knowledge you can come into as a believer is when you go through suffering. 1 Peter 5:10But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle [you]. God takes you through suffering because He wants to teach you something which the secular world cannot. You need to be careful of the information you intake….”we have to rightly divide the Word of Truth”
Related Scriptures – Romans 12 9-16 [Let] love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good. 10 [Be] kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another; 11 Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord; 12 Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer; 13 Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality. 14 Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not. 15 Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep. 16 [Be] of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits.
1 Timothy 4:12-16 Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity. 13 Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine. 14 Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery. 15 Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all. 16 Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.
1Timothy 5:21 I charge [thee] before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, and the elect angels, that thou observe these things without preferring one before another, doing nothing by partiality.
1Timothy 6:11 But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.
In coming into spiritual education, you have to surrender totally, holding back nothing, Lord you are large and in charge. David says “early in the morning shall I rise” to remind himself and communicate with God, I am nothing without you all that I have is not because of me but because of you.
2 Timothy 2:14-16 Of these things put [them] in remembrance, charging [them] before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, [but] to the subverting of the hearers. 15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 16 But shun profane [and] vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.
Apostle Paul is speaking to Timothy “of these things I put you into rememberance” for as you live and learn the characteristics of God will become your characteristics. When you come into God, you are no longer in control of your actions. Study – there are some things God will do but there are things you as a believer have to do. A believer has to set aside to study and educate himself.
1 Thessalonians 4:11-12 And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you; 12 That ye may walk honestly toward them that are without, and [that] ye may have lack of nothing.
Study – to teach the divine love of God to the Christians. When we were yet sinners, rebels and enemies of God, He still loved us. Study, so you elevate yourself to the next level, study to do your own business, study to live a quiet life. When you are empowered by education you are not influenced by those who are babblers for you have a wealth of knowledge that you are not swayed by what they have to say.
Education brings with it development.
Study – to be ambitious, to aspire to a prize above, measure to pursue. Romans 15:20 Yea, so have I strived to preach the gospel, not where Christ was named, lest I should build upon another man’s foundation,
2 Corinthians 5:9 Wherefore we labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him– to strive & labour.
There is an art you must learn in your Christian life but it will not come by sitting down and doing nothing you must strive and labour.
Study the Word of God to show yourself approved.
2 Timothy 3:15 rightfully dividing and setting straight, the true application of the word and understand the true context of the word. To divide in 3 areas (i) prophetically (ii) historical (iii) time, dispensation
7 things the word of God is able to do if you study the word carefully:-
1) Makes us wise unto salvation – Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. James 1:21 Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.
2) Able to produce Faith – Romans10:17 So then faith [cometh] by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.for faith cometh by hearing the Word of God.
3) Makes Christ known to us. The secret to Christianity is knowing God and letting Him know you. John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. 1 Corinthians 15 1-8 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; 2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. 3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; [article] 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: 5 And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve: 6 After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.7 After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles.8 And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time.
4) To build us up and edify us. Acts 20:32 And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified.
5) To give us an inheritance. Acts 20:32 And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. If we study the work diligently we will come into an inheritance. “I’ll bring you out of the pit and make you my child” I have chosen you to be a chosen people, a chosen generation, a Royal Priesthood.
6) To produce profit and reproof – 2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: All scripture comes from God, there is only one way, I am the way the truth and life. The church has compromised the gospel being preached and lost the correction of truth and reproof.
7) To make the man of God perfect, complete, exactly fitted as a joint, 2 Timothy 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works. The word of God is to fitly frame us to make us blameless. It will take the word of God for you to find your Place – Position – Purpose.
The word of God will thoroughly furnish us unto all good works & equip us. Education will bring us to the next level to be equipped.
Ephesians 4:20 But ye have not so learned Christ we do not only need to educate ourselves in the doctrine of Christ but in Christ himself. We educate ourselves through knowing Christ by coming into relationship with Him.
The Bible says if any man lacks knowledge let him ask God. We apply the knowledge of God to walk differently from the world, knowing Christ we walk, talk and make decisions like Christ would. There is a marked difference between the believer and the world.
The educating process isn’t one sided, there is a theoretical side and a practical side. Jesus said Matthew 16:24Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any [man] will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me, put into practice that which I have taught you. The application process which comes through constant practice, is just as important as the learning process.