Sunday 27th February 2011 – Pastor Mark Ballosingh
Romans 1: 8-13 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world. 9 For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of his Son, that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers; 10 Making request, if by any means now at length I might have a prosperous journey by the will of God to come unto you. 11 For I long to see you, that I may impart unto you some spiritual gift, to the end ye may be established; 12 That is, that I may be comforted together with you by the mutual faith both of you and me. 13 Now I would not have you ignorant, brethren, that oftentimes I purposed to come unto you, (but was let hitherto,) that I might have some fruit among you also, even as among other Gentiles.
1 Peter 5:10 But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle [you].
One could have knowledge, could have a relationship with God, could be elevated but if he is not equipped then he cannot be empowered.
To equip the believer – to supply them with all the necessary resources and tools to accomplish their purpose. As you come into the kingdom and knowledge of Christ you will come to know there is a destined purpose for your life but if you are not fully equipped then your purpose will not be accomplished.
To equip:- To prepare someone to take care of a situation / task, to enable, train, teach somebody to be successful.
3 things which are needed in order to become equipped:-
1) Faith to wait – Joseph had to wait on God for his destined purpose but he never gave up on his faith as God moved him from the pit, to Potiphar’s house, to the prison then to the palace. Sometimes we have to go through a process for God to equip us.
People who accomplished great things in the kingdom of God had great faith and faith to wait. Daniel had to wait 21 days for an answer from God.
2) Patience in prayer – the ability to prayer constructively and patiently. Jacob had to wrestle with God but did not let go until God blessed him. Jacob held unto God to find his place and purpose. Believer, hold on patiently to God until He reveals your purpose.
3) Desire for fire – a people who are empowered or seeking empowerment for the fire from the Holy Ghost. Acts 1:13-14 And when they were come in, they went up into an upper room, where abode both Peter, and James, and John, and Andrew, Philip, and Thomas, Bartholomew, and Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon Zelotes, and Judas the brother of James. 14These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren, the disciples waited in the upper-room for they had a desire for fire, had a desire to keep close to God, a desire to hold unto the promise of God. In order to be an empowered and equipped believer one must have a desire for the Holy Ghost. God will allow the Holy Ghost to come into your life when He sees your desire and sacrifice to want Him.
What should the believer be equipped for?:-
a) The Power of God.
b) The Protection Arm of God.
The Power of God;
1) To be powerful individuals through the Power of God. Mark 3:15And to have power to heal sicknesses, and to cast out devils, Luke 9:1Then he called his twelve disciples together, and gave them power and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases., Power to lay hands of the sick and they shall be healed.
2) Over evil – power to stamp on the head of the serpent, power to drink of any poisonous substance and not be harmed Luke 10:19 Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you…
3) For God to keep us 1 Peter 1:3-5 Blessed [be] the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you, 5 Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
In this last and closing day you need the Power of God to preserve you, keep you and sustain you, there is nothing that can hold you like the Power of Almighty God, there is power in the Blood of Jesus
4) To be free from fear 2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. In this last day men’s heart will be failing them for fear but as a child of God, I thank Him for equipping me to live free from fear, the world may try to make me fearful but my God declares “though you walk through the shadow of death, fear no evil Psalm 23…..”
5) To be raised from weakness 1 Corinthians 15:43 It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power:, Isaiah 40:29 He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength.
Have you ever been in a position where your spirit felt weak and you felt to turn away from this Christian life? Today I’ve come to declare the anchor holds…..I thank God when I feel weak He is walking in power to raise me up
Even Jesus became weak in His persecution on the Cross, in the end God had to empower him through the beating, mocking to go to the Cross for that was where the purpose for the Son of God laid.
6) To become the sons and daughters of God John 1:12 Not as Cain, [who] was of that wicked one, and slew his brother. And wherefore slew he him? Because his own works were evil, and his brother’s righteous.. Unless we ask for the power of God to equip us we cannot become the sons and daughters of God.
7) To accomplish Ephesians 3-20 Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us,.
8) To demonstrate the word 1 Corinthians 4:20 For the kingdom of God [is] not in word, but in power., 1 Corinthians 2:4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man’s wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power. Apostle Paul says, “I come not to you with excellency but I come to you declaring the testimony of God” It takes the power of God in the life of the believer to demonstrate the word. The word was written by the Holy Spirit, if you want to use the word effectively it must be coupled with the Holy Spirit.
9) The protection arm of God. When the arm of flesh fails, God will endow you with His arm of protection. When you pray ask God, “to equip e with protection, let your angels stand guard over me” for we are living in a time where we need God to keep us in His safety, He is a God who will never leave us nor forsake us, He will come up against the enemy….”the Bible says there are more for you than against you.
In the Bible the word arm has many meanings:- the power of God, military strength, vengeance, trust, strength, support. God wants you to know you can trust Him, He wants to equip you with His support, He will be a sure foundation. When the world is on sinking sand, God is a sure foundation, He will hide you in His refuge and in the protection of His secret pavilion.
10) To withstand the wiles of the enemy, to resist the work of the enemy. Eph 6:11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. Arm yourself with the whole armour of God. The devil wishes he can get his hands on your armour because he knows once you put on the armour of God he cannot invade. “The battle is not yours, the battle is the Lord’s”
11) To keep you from invasion/warfare The devil cannot cast out evil but it will take the Blood of Jesus and the word of God to cast it out. Luke 11 16-23. And others, tempting [him], sought of him a sign from heaven. 17 But he, knowing their thoughts, said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and a house [divided] against a house falleth.18 If Satan also be divided against himself, how shall his kingdom stand? because ye say that I cast out devils through Beelzebub. 19 And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your sons cast [them] out? therefore shall they be your judges. 20 But if I with the finger of God cast out devils, no doubt the kingdom of God is come upon you. 21 When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace: 22 But when a stronger than he shall come upon him, and overcome him, he taketh from him all his armour wherein he trusted, and divideth his spoils. 23 He that is not with me is against me: and he that gathereth not with me scattereth. V21 – 22 some of us are running for help but in the wrong places and to the wrong persons.
The Protection arm of God is known in the word as the keeping Power of God.
1) We need the protection of God to keep us, to keep us from going in the wrong direction – 1 Samuel 2:9 “He will keep the feet of his saints, and the wicked shall be silent in darkness; for by strength shall no man prevail.”
2) To keep us as the apple of His eye. The apple of an eye speaks about the pupil of the eye, it is said when you look at the pupil it is a reflection of the person.
3) To keep us from evil Psalm 91:11 For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways. There is no one or nothing that can keep you from evil like the Blood of Jesus. When God keeps you, He will establish you, when darkness starts to close in, when the devil raises up his head in your home, when demons have been assigned to you, I’ve come to let you know the God we serve is able to keep you from evil, God said “I will keep you in your going out and in your coming in”, for the God who keeps Israel will surely keep you.
4) To keep us unspotted from the world James 1:26-27 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man’s religion is vain.27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.. We are living in a critical time when the world in trying to contaminate the believers but the Bible says ask God to keep you unspotted from the world, we can be in the world but not of the world. “Behold I hold you in the palm of my hand”
5) To keep us in perfect peace Isaiah 26:3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. Jesus is the Prince of Peace, He has promised His peace if we keep our mind stayed upon Him.
6) To keep us in the path of righteousness Proverbs 2:20 That thou mayest walk in the way of good [men], and keep the paths of the righteous.. There is a road which may seem right but at the end of it is destruction, the world is on the wrong path Matthew 7 13-14 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: 14Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Psalm 1:1 “Blessed [is] the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. The walk of the believer needs to be stationed in the path of righteousness. We are living in a time where we have alot of churches but less righteous people. We need to ask God to empower us to walk and stay in the path of righteousness.
“Ye shall be planted like trees by living waters and you will produce the right fruit in the right season”. One of the products of walking in the path of righteousness is being able to produce the right fruit in the right season.
7) To Praise effectively – “the weapons of our warfare are not carnal” your praise is what God equips you with to be empowered. Isaiah 38 18-19 “For the grave cannot praise you, death can not celebrate you: they that go down into the pit cannot hope for your truth. 19 The living, the living, he shall praise you, as I do this day: the father to the children shall make known your truth…..Praise is a reflection of the condition of your soul. When David was sad and became weary he praised God.
Praise opens the windows of Heaven, conquers the devil, overcomes your discouragement, gives you the upper hand over the enemy and to makes you satisfied in the spirit, mind and body. Praise was built for the people of God. There is power in praise, there is power when you raise your hand, there is power in the word Hallelujah. Don’t let the devil steal your praise…God you have equipped me with prayer and patience, I need to be equipped with Praise, God inhibits the praises of His people….God says let everything that hath breath Praise Him.
8) To be a worshipper. Some of us are so fixed on the problem and caught up worrying over the answer giving the enemy the victory but God is already sending the answer we need to praise Him for the answer. David says “I have never seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread”…..In the midst of Job’s trials he says “I know my redeemer liveth”
God will take away your weeping and pour the oil of gladness for those who Praise Him.
I’m going to lift my hands to praise Almighty God.