Sunday 11th August, 2013
Pastor Jemma Jhilmit
Title: Marks of a Mature Believer
God gives the Church spiritual leaders to promote spiritual growth. God’s plan for all his children is to obtain spiritual maturity. You are saved; you want to do the Lord’s work, but there are ups and downs. We are interested in growing to fulfil God’s calling.
Marks of a Mature Christian
1. Marked by calm steadfastness
• Steadfast in the doctrine; you know what you believe and why you believe it.
• Steadfast in development; always striving to be like Jesus, conforming to the ways of the Lord
• Steadfast in devotion; service to God, always abiding in the words of the Lord.
2. Marked by a clear separation
• Set apart for the sole purpose of God’s will
• Separated from the works of darkness and worldly things
• You only want to please God
3. Marked by Christ
• Cares for others; establish relationships with other believers. You would not only be thinking about yourself; praying for others, not just yourself
• Learning to control anger and temper; learning to forgive.
• Be kind and tender-hearted to one another; always speak the truth
• Having the fruits of the Spirit – Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness, Self-control
• Being long-suffering and able to endure
• Philippians 2:4 – Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others
• John 13:35 – By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.
• Ecclesiastes 3:5 – A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
• 1 Thessalonians 5:22 – Abstain from all appearance of evil
• Romans 12:1-2 – I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.